Wednesday, December 4, 2013

A Life Well Lived

After getting home from a morning playdate, I tucked the kids into bed for their afternoon naps and headed to our computer. I wanted to watch some home videos of when Bubby was Chipmunk’s age because I was having a hard time remembering my now 3 year old being that little. I scrolled through the short videos, this one of Peanut’s 3rd birthday, this one of the trip to the pumpkin patch when Chipmunk was just born. Suddenly, without warning, tears filled my eyes. 

Oftentimes, when I think about mothering and all the changes being a mom has brought to my life, I tend to focus on what is hard. Being a stay at home mom, feeling isolated, missing the workforce (not so much any more but initially), feeling unsuccessful at parenting, living in a constantly messy house, going to bed often wondering if I am doing a good job, straining to remember when the last date night was, feeling some days like I yell, beg and plead more than whisper, sing and pray. Some days fleeing to Target just for a moment’s peace and jeeze, the list could go on.

But you know what? As I watched those videos, none of that was evident (except the messy house because you can’t miss that). But I couldn’t see any of those other things or feel any of those emotions in those videos. All I could see was a life well lived. 

A Life. Well Lived. 

I saw these tiny people doing adorable things: clapping for the first time, taking their first steps, splashing in the bath tub, opening birthday presents, meeting a new sibling for the first time, playing hide and seek standing out in the open and giggling, digging in the sand, splashing in the baby pool. And all I could think was, what a way to live a life. What a way to make a life:

  • Pressing in each day and taking the time to fully realize motherhood. Embracing my new curves and the deep belly laughs only my kids can bring out of me. 
  • Feeling my heart swell when I witness these little people do something that brings me joy. 
  • Hugging and kissing and teaching and training. 
  • Fighting to keep my eyes open on date night and cherishing those moments when Reuben and I get to be alone. Remembering again and again that only he can make me laugh like that. 
  • Pouring sprinkles on ice cream and reading that book they love for the millionth time.
  • Singing Jesus Loves Me till she falls asleep and tearing the house apart looking for that dang train he can’t sleep without.
  • Pillow fights. Leaf pile jumps. Play dates. Pedaling bikes. Memorizing scripture. Bedtime prayers. Late night cries. Early morning pleas. Dress up tea parties. Pirate battles. Tickle tag. Paw Patrol. Dieting and exercising. Again. And again. Cake and candy. Themed birthdays. Day trips and pumpkin carvings. Trimming the tree. More “I love you’s” than I can count. 


What a way to live a life. 

I’m sure in the moments those videos were shot, if you’d asked me, I’d have had a list a mile long of all the things I would have changed to make those days better. But now I don’t even know what that list would contain. All I know is that when I watch those videos, I see the people I love most doing what we love best: living life together. 

What a way to live a life. 

I’m grateful, God. So grateful. 


No comments:

Post a Comment